Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pot PieMonday, October 15, 2012 1,015 Comments Tweet
This recipe is for one of my all-time favourite comfort foods – piping hot creamy chicken stew topped with golden, buttery biscuits. Homey and satisfying.
The beauty of it is that you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand – I used cabbage and potatoes, but you could substitute or add carrots, parsnips, peas, green beans, etc.
My biscuit topping is a really easy one – no kneading, rolling and cutting circles. Just mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, add buttermilk, and spoon on top of the stew. The result is a bit more rustic-looking than perfectly executed concentric biscuit circles, but much less agonizing and just as scrumptious.
If you don’t have a dutch oven, you can cook the stew in a regular large pot then transfer it to a baking dish before topping.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large potato, cut in bite-sized pieces
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Heat olive oil and butter in a dutch oven (oven-proof casserole) over medium-high heat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides; transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, celery and cabbage to dutch oven and saute until softened. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pot; add potato, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook until potato is cooked through and stew thickens, about 20 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make biscuit topping, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender (or working quickly with your fingers), work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Using two spoons, drop biscuit dough on top of stew. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.